The shops'll make you believe otherwise, but here's the collective wisdom of new parents on stuff you really don't need to bother buying...
- A bath temperature monitor: it's what your elbows were made for (don't use your hands as they withstand higher temps).
- Pretty crib mobiles, bumpers, etc for newborns - most mobiles aren't much use until the babe is in a cot and bumpers aren't recommended by midwives.
- 'White noise makers' like Ewan the Sheep - see if these work/are needed for your baby with a free Youtube soundtrack or app, and only splash out if so.
- A baby monitor (for the early days): unless you live in a mansion, your baby will be very audible - probably sleeping in your bedroom and with you all day long, so you don't usually need a monitor until later on.
- A special 'nappy disposal system' - I use this cheap pedal bin with a lid from Wilko - looks good and works well.
- Shoes for your newborn. Aka pram shoes. Aka see the ridiculous items in the pic above? They'll last a week, and will never get walked on.. Stick to cute socks.
- Baby wipe warmer. WTF? Even a day-old babba needs to learn that life sometimes hands you lemons. Aka room-temperature wipes on your bum.
- Anything to add? Leave a comment below.